The mere thought of ticks can send a shiver down the spine of pet owners. This is entirely understandable as a paralysis tick can rapidly kill an animal.
Ticks are commonly found in long grass or scrub and tend to attach to the head or neck region of the pet, but can be found anywhere on the body. The ticks release a toxin during feeding and have been known to kill dogs within 48 hours. While ticks are about all year around, dog and cat owners need to be especially vigilant in spring & summer, especially after rain as ticks thrive in warm and moist conditions.
The early warning signs in pets include: a visible weakness in the legs, especially the hind legs when walking or standing, vomiting, rapid noisy breathing, coughing, gagging and drooling.
If you suspect that your dog or cat is suffering from tick paralysis don’t delay, get them in to 4 Paws Vet as soon as possible.
Tick prevention is clearly the best way to approach this serious condition. Owners need to be vigilant in checking their pets EVERY day for ticks. The best way to do this is to feel, not look, for ticks. Start in the common places such as the head and neck, but make sure you look everywhere, including the ears, around the eyes, under the collar, between the toes etc.
Pet owners need to guard against ticks by using a product specifically aimed at killing and repelling ticks. The vets and nurses at 4 Paws Vet will be able to advise you which product is the best one to suit your requirements.